Former Tory MP Harvey Proctor claims he is a victim of a “homosexual witch hunt”

Harvey Procto speaking at his home on the Belvoir Estate in March after it as raided by police.
Harvey Procto speaking at his home on the Belvoir Estate in March after it as raided by police.

Former Tory MP Harvey Proctor has insisted he is the victim of a “homosexual witch hunt” after he was questioned for a second time by detectives investigating historical claims he was involved in the murder and sexual abuse of children.

Mr Proctor said he was “completely innocent” of allegations that he murdered two young boys and was linked to the death of a third, as he called for the complainant - known by the pseudonym “Nick” - to be stripped of his anonymity.

The 69-year-old former politician was interviewed under caution on Monday by Metropolitan Police officers working on Operation Midland, the inquiry launched following historical allegations of a VIP paedophile ring.

The Metropolitan Police’s Operation Midland team searched his house on the Belvoir Estate, where he worked for the Duke and Duchess of Rutland, in March.

Speaking at a packed press conference in central London on Tuesday, Mr Proctor laid out graphic details of the claims made against him and revealed former prime minister Sir Edward Heath and ex-home secretary Leon Brittan had been named among his “alleged co-conspirators”.

He said: “They amount to just about the worst allegations anyone can make against a person ... multiple murder of children, their torture, grievous bodily harm, rape and sexual child abuse.

“I’m completely innocent of all these allegations. I’m a homosexual. I’m not a murderer. I’m not a paedophile or pederast. This whole catalogue of events has wrecked my life.”

Mr Proctor, who represented Basildon in Essex from 1979 to 1983 and Billericay from 1983 to 1987, was not arrested when he was questioned by police on Monday.