Ex Melton borough councillor Norman Slater escapes jail term for theft of lunch club cash

Norman Slater EMN-150104-132948001
Norman Slater EMN-150104-132948001
0
Have your say

A former Melton borough councillor has been spared jail after admitting stealing £3,205 from a lunch club he operated in the town.

Norman Slater pleaded guilty to taking the cash from the club he ran at The Edge Sure Start Children’s and Community Centre in Dalby Road.

Slater (62) was given an eight-month prison term, suspended for two years, and a three-month curfew order (4pm-4am) - during which time he will be electronically tagged - when he was sentenced at Leicester Crown Court today (Wednesday, April 1).

The court heard that Slater, of Barker Crescent, Melton, was the club organiser whose basic duties were organising meals and collecting payments towards the subsidised meals.

He was supposed to pay the money into a bank account to pay Leicestershire County Council.

But between March 31, 2011 and March 31, 2014 it didn’t receive any payment.

The court heard that Slater had used the money for himself and members of his family.

Paul Prior, defending Slater, said: “He bitterly regrets taking the money, which he used for his financial difficulties, and regrets taking the position at the club in the first place.

“He expresses deep regret and sorrow for what he has undertaken.”

Mr Prior also asked for Slater’s ‘positive good character’ to be taken into account as well as his work with Melton Council and, in particular, his work with the disabled in Melton and Melton Access group.

Judge Phillip Head said: “It is a thoroughly unattractive trait that you may think of yourself as a victim. Any remorse is because of the situation you now find yourself in.

“You were given a high degree of trust but your dishonesty persisted.”

Slater, who appeared in court in his motorised wheelchair, declined to comment to the Melton Times immediately after his sentencing.

As previously reported in the Melton Times, Slater had been a Melton borough councillor for 12 years - one of two councillors who served the town’s Warwick ward - until he resigned from his post last month ‘on the grounds of ill health’.