Five cats have reportedly died from anti-freeze poisoning inside a week on Victor Avenue in Melton.
It is unclear how the animals came into contact with the substance, which is used to prevent car engines freezing in the winter.
Adria Pearce, whose cat was one of the victims, said: “Ours is the fifth cat confirmed of death by anti-freeze poisoning in one week. She fell ill on the Friday and was rushed to the vets. Unfortunately, we had to have her put to sleep on Monday.
“My whole family are devastated and we are too scared to let our other cat out now.”
Jamie Agnew’s family also lost their cat to anti-freeze poisoning
He said: “People in the Leicester Road area of Melton need to be aware of this spate of cat deaths.
“Malicious or not it has destroyed four families in the run up to Christmas, my three young children included.
“Anti-freeze is a feline killer in hours because it destroys the kidneys.
“We beg residents as distraught families to dispose of your waste responsibly and store it locked away in sealed containers.
“To a cat it’s just a drink but it will kill them in hours.”